Christ Congregational began in the 1950’s when the minister of First Congregational Church on Pueblo’s south side envisioned a liberal protestant church to serve the Christian community on the north side of town.
Designed by Elizabeth Wright Ingram, granddaughter of Frank Lloyd Wright, Christ Congregational UCC opened the doors to its new building in 1958. The church sits on land donated by John Bonforte, developer of the Belmont area of Pueblo.
From its inception, CCUCC served as a liberal and progressive representative in the Pueblo Christian community. It was the first congregation in Pueblo to hire a woman minister, the first in Pueblo to hire an openly gay Pastor, is an open and affirming church, has been , and remains, an active leader in social justice causes within the community.
Known, among other things, for its music, hospitality, and support of local charities through its monthly “Noisy Offering” program, CCUCC is a multi-generational church with a small but strong and growing congregation.
2014 was a year spent considering our future. We spent many hours in discussion, prayer, thought, and research. By a unanimous vote, we made the decision to be a Lay-Led congregation. We utilize a combination of visiting pastors leading worship, community speakers and congregation led “Read and Reflect” sessions.